Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard have teamed for Django and Jimmie, a new studio album coming June 2 from Legacy Recordings. They’ve released the first video, “It’s All Going To Pot” (embedded below).
The title track is about their influences, jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt and country music’s “singing brakeman” Jimmie Rodgers. Production was helmed by Nelson’s longtime collaborator and friend Buddy Cannon.
In 1983, Nelson and Haggard released Pancho & Lefty, a critically-acclaimed top-selling project which opened the doors for a number of successful follow-up projects together.
Also coming up, Nelson, 81, is releasing his memoir, It’s A Long Story: My Life. In the book, debuting May 5, he discusses growing up during the Great Depression, singing in dance halls at age 13, women in his life, tax troubles, founding Farm Aid, Nashville in the ’60s, his history with alcohol abuse, and marijuana advocacy.
Django and Jimmie track list
1. Django and Jimmie – written by Jimmy Melton and Jeff Prince
2. It’s All Going To Pot – written by Buddy Cannon, Jamey Johnson and Larry Shell
3. Unfair Weather Friend – written by Marla Cannon-Goodman and Ward Davis
4. Missing Ol’ Johnny Cash (guest vocals from Bobby Bare)- written by Merle Haggard
5. Live This Long – written by Shawn Camp and Marv Green
6. Alice In Hulaland – written by Willie Nelson and Buddy Cannon
7. Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright – written by Bob Dylan
8. Family Bible – written by Walter M. Breeland, Paul F. Buskirk, and Claude Gray
9. It’s Only Money – written by Willie Nelson and Buddy Cannon
10. Swinging Doors – written by Merle Haggard
11. Where Dreams Come To Die – written by Willie Nelson and Buddy Cannon
12. Somewhere Between – written by Merle Haggard
13. Driving The Herd – written by Willie Nelson and Buddy Cannon
14. The Only Man Wilder Than Me – written by Merle Haggard