At the end of the year CBS flipped a long time AC station in Minneapolis to Country to go up against long time market leader Clear Channel’s KEEY. I predict that there will be a minimum of 20 MORE stations flipping to Country Music in 2012. Many of them will be in the top 100 markets and the format will be even more forefront than it is today.
The coming Summer has a SUPER tour with Kenny and Tim sweeping the country. That is going create incredible excitement.
George and Martina are on tour this year. Jason Aldean continues his tour with Luke Bryan. Lady A is going to continue into 2012 with an even bigger show. The ACM show, in April, will raise the level of excitement and of course the CMA Music Fest promises to be the best ever with the biggest names already signed on.
Of course this is without even mentioning ZBB, Toby, and on and on.
In January it is always fun to make predictions. What is great about making predictions is that no one remembers them except they guy who got them correct. So read these predictions below. Then forget about them. If any of them turn out to be right I will remind you. If they are wrong, then both of us will forget them. You have no responsibility past the next couple of minutes.
Okay, I predicted 20 new Country radio stations in 2012. I am going to count Buzzin’ in Minneapolis and Biggie 96 in Wheeling/Moundsville, WV. Both of them flipped late in 2011. Good enough for me. Cumulus flipped Journey in Cincinnati to Country on New Year’s Day. That’s three. I may up my count to 25.
Please do not disregard the OBVIOUS predictions. I am working on my predictions percentage.
2. Miranda Lambert is going to continue to be THE female artist in the format. Her music is just too good. Carrie has a new CD coming and she too will be forefront with great new music. Taylor continues to be everyone’s darling.
3. Last year Chris Young, Jake Owen and Eric Church broke out and became successful in selling CDs. This year the break out CD sellers are going to be Easton Corbin, Brantley Gilbert and Luke Bryan.
4. First time chart success (apparently identified as a top 15 record) will come to Andy Gibson, James Wesley and Jana Kramer.
5. Ronnie Dunn will have a number one record this year, his first as a solo act.
6. The top 5 Country Radio performers for 2012 will be ZBB, Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, Kenny Chesney and Miranda Lambert. (think about this, 2 females in the top 5—BOLD Prediction)
7. There will be three major record company changes in 2012. (I get to decide what is major-a guaranteed winner)
8. Skip Bishop is going to surface someplace special and big. Because he is special and a big star.
9. Look out for a HUGE spike for Tim McGraw, already heard on most stations about 18 times a day. He will have two labels working his product this time. Lucky for all of us Tim fans.
10. HD radio is going to be a player for terrestrial radio. Maybe not by the end of 2012 but the pressure for success is going to continue to grow throughout the year and this is another FREE source for Country Music fans.