We have a lovely group of fresh faces today in DisClaimer.
Let me direct your attention to Kentucky singer-songwriter Brit Taylor. She’s the best neo-traditionalist to come along in ages. Then there’s Aliyah Good, whose songwriting prowess is way beyond her young years. Finally, take a listen to Kelsey Hart. He’s country to the core and our DisCovery Award winner.
The Disc of the Day belongs to the sweet singing of Kane & Katelyn Brown.
TYLER BOOTH / “Real, Real Country”
Writers: Tyler Booth; Producer: none listed; Label: Sony/Villa 40
– Redneck rock, especially if you crank it up.
JORDAN DAVIS / “Next Thing You Know”
Writers: Jordan Davis/Greylan James/Chase McGill/Josh Osborne; Producer: Paul DiGiovanni; Label: MCA Nashville
– Heart warming. Love sneaks up on you, life races by and bliss surrounds you. His vocal delivery is utterly inviting, and the lyric is a charmer.
BRIT TAYLOR / “Kentucky Blue”
Writers: Brit Taylor/Kimberly Kelly/Adam Wright; Producers: Sturgill Simpson/David Ferguson; Label: Cut a Shine/Thirty Tigers
– The title tune of Taylor’s sophomore album is mountain-music heaven. Mandolins ripple, fiddles sway and guitars strum along as her heartbroken soprano trills beautifully. This lady is the Real Deal.
DIERKS BENTLEY & ASHLEY McBRYDE / “Cowboy Boots”
Writers: Casey Brown/Jordan Minton/Hunter Phelps/Dierks Bentley; Producers: Dierks Bentley/F. Reid Shippen/Jon Randall/Ross Copperman; Label: Capitol
– An ode to country’s preferred footwear, set to a steady tempo and a plain-spoken melody with lots of steel, especially in the deliciously long finale fade. Both singers take a crack at verses, and McBryde sings harmony on the choruses.
KELSEY HART / “6-Pack Gone”
Writers: Kelsey Hart/Mason Thornley/Joe Clemmons; Producers: Tommy Cecil/Matt Alderman; Label: Curb
– He counts down his heartbreak, one beer at a time. The songwriting is super imaginative, and his performance is solid. This sure sounds like a hit to me. Formerly a successful indie act, this marks Hart’s debut as a Curb artist.
LUKE COMBS / “Love You Anyway”
Writers: Luke Combs/Ray Fulcher/Reid Isbell; Producer: none listed; Label: Sony
– The boy is so likeable when he’s topsy-turvy in love like this. The ballad fits him like a comfy glove.
CAYLEE HAMMACK / “All Or Nothing”
Writers: Caylee Hammack/Tofer Brown/Thomas Finch; Producers: Caylee Hammack/Dann Huff; Label: Capitol
– The fiery redhead storms through this banger with fierce vocal commitment. The double-time drumming and churning electronics stir up the frothing energy. It might rock just a little too hard for some country programmers.
MATT STELL / “Shut the Truck Up”
Writers: Matt Stell/Jessie Jo Dillon/Chase McGill; Producer: Matt Stell/Ash Bowers; Label: Records
– The pick-up has to go. It holds too many memories of a broken romance. Stell has always been a fine country communicator, and this well-constructed song gives him another worthy platform.
TYLER BRADEN / “Neon Grave”
Writers: Tyler Braden/Shane Minor/Justin Ebach; Producer: Randy Montana; Label: Warner
– I have made no secret of my admiration for this artist. The title tune of his EP seethes with vocal passion. It’s a minor-key, moody, slow-burn country rocker with a dark twang and, as usual, he sings his face off. Keep on playing the titanic “Try Losing One,” but sample this track, too.
KANE BROWN & KATELYN BROWN / “Thank God”
Writers: Christian Stainecker/Jared Mullis/Jaxson Free/Josh Hoge/Kyle Fishman; Producer: Dann Huff; Label: Sony
– Mr. and Mrs. Brown are all giddy in love on this sweet, lilting outing. I’m happy to report that she is a fine singer in her own right. My only disappointment was that Katelyn didn’t break into vocal harmony with Kane until the very last phrase of the song.
ALIYAH GOOD / “Ending of a First Love”
Writers: Aliyah Good; Producer: none listed; Label: AG
– Teenager Good is the daughter of country hit maker Jamie O’Neal (”There Is No Arizona”). The apple didn’t fall from the tree, because this is an outstanding debut. She sings in an assured, range-y soprano, but what I’m even more impressed with is her stunning maturity as a songwriter. This is potent, and the chiming, swirling track doesn’t hurt a bit.
THE WAR & TREATY / “Lover’s Game”
Writers: Dave Cobb/Michael Trotter Jr./Tanya Trotter; Producer: Dave Cobb; Label: Mercury
– Previously noted for scorching ballads, the sensational soul duo rocks out on this snappy tempo tune. Electric guitars scream along, and the rhythm track kicks up dust behind their wailing delivery.
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Tim McGraw Delivers ‘Downright Inspirational’ New Track - November 30, 2023
- Hit Producer & MGM Exec Jim Vienneau Dies At Age 97 - November 20, 2023
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Mickey Guyton Gives ‘A Thrilling Take’ On Tina Turner Hit - November 16, 2023