Willie Nelson‘s latest studio album, The Willie Nelson Family, featuring the country legend’s family of musicians, is set for release from Legacy Recordings on Nov. 19. The first single from the project, “Family Bible,” is available everywhere now.
“Family Bible” was penned in 1957, and was inspired by scenes of Nelson’s grandmother singing “Rock of Ages” and reading from her Bible after supper. As a struggling young songwriter in Texas, Nelson sold the song to Paul Buskirk, who enlisted singer Claude Gray to record Nelson’s songs. Gray’s single of “Family Bible” was released in February 1960 and reached No. 7 on Billboard‘s Hot Country Singles chart. The single’s success enabled Nelson to move to Nashville, where he established his reputation as a songwriter. Nelson recorded his own version of “Family Bible” for the first time on his 1971 album, Yesterday’s Wine.
The full Nelson and Steve Chadie-produced project features 12 favorites from the Nelson Family repertoire, including A.P. Carter’s “Keep It On The Sunnyside” and the traditional hymn “In The Garden;” Hank Williams’ “I Saw The Light;” Kris Kristofferson’s “Why Me;” and more.
Willie’s Family Band includes sister Bobbie (piano); Lukas (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, lead vocals, background vocals); Micah (drums, bass, background vocals); Paula (background vocals); Amy (background vocals); Mickey Raphael (harmonica); Billy English (drums); Paul English (percussion) and Kevin Smith (bass).
Willie’s son Lukas, who fronts Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, sings lead vocals on two of the album’s tracks–”All Things Must Pass” and “Keep It On The Sunnyside”–while sharing lead vocals with Willie on “I Saw the Light,” “I Thought About You, Lord” and “Why Me.”
Willie Nelson & Family are slated to headline Farm Aid 2021 in Hartford, Connecticut on Saturday, Sept. 25. This year’s Farm Aid lineup will include sets by Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real and Particle Kid (Micah Nelson’s musical ensemble).
The Willie Nelson Family Track List:
1. Heaven and Hell (Willie Nelson)
2. Kneel at the Feet of Jesus (Willie Nelson)
3. Laying My Burdens Down (Willie Nelson)
4. Family Bible (Claude Gray, Paul Buskirk & Walt Breeland)
5. In the Garden (traditional)
6. All Things Must Pass (George Harrison)
7. I Saw the Light (Hank Williams, Sr.)
8. In God’s Eyes (Willie Nelson)
9. Keep It On the Sunnyside (A.P. Carter)
10. I Thought About You, Lord (Willie Nelson)
11. Too Sick To Pray (Willie Nelson)
12. Why Me (Kris Kristofferson)
- Zach Williams Puts Fame Studio Spin On Some Holiday Favorites - October 22, 2021
- Abby Anderson Re-Emerges With New Single, Forthcoming Album - October 22, 2021
- Tenille Arts Talks ‘Girl To Girl’ On New Album, Available Now - October 22, 2021