Country Rewind Records has released Tex Williams‘ Smokin’ Country Swing – The Lost Tracks as part of the labels Western Heritage Collection.
Williams was a western swing performer that helped to country music from its rural, acoustic origins to a more danceable, electrified form with a much wider popular appeal. His biggest hit was the novelty song, “Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette)”, which held the No. 1 position on the Billboard charts for sixteen weeks in 1947. Williams died in 1985.
The record was co-produced by Aaron Dethrage and Rex Allen Jr. with Thomas Gramuglia as executive producer. Bil VornDick provided additional recording for the project which was recorded at EastSide Manor and Mountainside Audio Lab recording studios in Nashville and is being distributed by Select-O-Hits in both national and international markets.
“This Tex Williams’ album is a rare and special treat for the fans of Western Swing Music, by one of the genre’s greatest artist” says Gramuglia. “These lost tracks have been updated to make the album more modern sounding by adding instruments and blending it into the original recordings. This was a work of love for the musicians and producers.”
Country Rewind Records has previously released projects of other country legends such as Conway Twitty, Johnny Russell, Mickey Gilley, Tex Ritter, Merle Travis, Billy Don Burns, Carl Smith, Waylon Jennings, Connie Smith, Jeannie C. Riley and more.
Smokin’ Country Swing – The Lost Tracks Track List:
1. Alimony (Sollie Paul “Tex” Williams and Buddy Ebsen)
2. Every Night (Edward Townsend, Roni Rae and Scott Johnson)
3. Smoke, Smoke, Smoke (That Cigarette) (Sollie Paul “Tex” Williams and Merle Travis)
4. Just A Bummin’ Around (Peter Graves)
5. Long John (Eddie Miller and Enos William “Skeets” McDonald)
6. White Silver Sands (Charles G. “Red” Matthews)
7. Let’s Go Rockabilly (John Gluck, Jr. and Diane Charlotte Lampert)
8. Roll On Buddy (Nine Pound Hammer) (Merle Robert Travis)
9. Roses and Revolvers (Joseph Francis “Sonny” Burke, Paul Francis Webster and Don Raye)
10. Sidetracked (Don Larkin and Joe Simpson)
11. You’re Cold, So Cold (James Clarence “Jimmy” Wakely and Sollie Paul “Tex” Williams)
12. Talkin’ To The Blues (James “Jim” Ellsworth Lowe and Marvin Moore)
13. Castle Of My Dreams (J. L. Bateman and Steve Chase)
14. Worried Mind (Theron Eugene “Ted” Daffan and Jimmie H. Davis)
15. When I Call The Roll (Ricky Riddle)
- The Academy Of Country Music Announces Performances For 56th Awards - April 13, 2021
- Gabby Barrett Scores Second Consecutive No. 1 With ‘The Good Ones’ - April 13, 2021
- Endurance Names Carrie Wilkins Vice President, Amplified Administration - April 13, 2021