There’s a reason they are stars.
It boils down to simply making better music than mere mortals. One listen to the new singles by George Strait and Toby Keith this week is all you need as proof.
”Don’t Let the Old Man In” by Toby Keith was inspired by and written for Hollywood superstar Clint Eastwood. But its powerful message will resonate with millions of others. It is the Disc of the Day.
A West Coast female trio billed as Honey County wins this week’s DisCovery Award. They have something special, so lend them your ears.
HONEY COUNTY/Los Angeles
Writers: none listed; Producer: none listed; Publisher: none listed; Attique
– Swirly and sensuous. The trio’s harmonies are flawless, and the cool-spooky song is a total ear worm. He’s hot and dangerous, kinda like the City of Angels. Play this.
Writers: George Strait/Bubba Strait/Dean Dillon; Producers: none listed; Publishers: none listed; MCA
– Now here’s a delightful toe-tapper to warm your winter. Western-swing fiddling accents a bopping little tequila drinking song. Smiles of authentic country music.
JOE SCHMIDT/Audience Of One
Writers: Schmidt/Sherry Schmidt/Tim Daley/Bruce Burch; Producer: none listed; Publisher: none listed; JS
– I remain a huge fan of this vocalist. As always, he delivers in a deep, throaty and powerful baritone that’s capable of great range and emotion. The song is an inspirational tempo tune about making the most of your time on earth by giving back. Proceeds go to the AO1 Foundation established by Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz.
TOBY KEITH/Don’t Let The Old Man In
Writers: Toby Keith; Producer: none listed; Publisher: none listed; TK
– Stunning. It’s an acoustic ballad about facing old age gracefully, and it will hit you smack in the middle of your heart. Exquisitely written and performed, this is an illustration of country-music greatness drawn by a master of the genre.
CHRIS LANE/I Don’t Know About You
Writers: none listed; Producer: none listed; Publisher: none listed; Big Loud
– It’s a sexy come-on with a hip-hop vibe. His brushed-velvet vocal nicely camouflages the fact that the song barely has a melody.
THE LACS/Kickin’ Up Mud
Writers: none listed; Producer: none listed; Publisher: none listed; Average Joes
SEAFORTH/Talk To Me
Writers: Tom Jordan/Mitch Thompson; Producer: Dann Huff; Publisher: none listed; RCA (download)
– This is an Aussie country duo with a sweet, catchy, romantic, highly repetitive tune. RCA’s answer to Dan + Shay?
ERIC & LINDSEY HEATHERLY/Somethin’ Stupid
Writers: none listed; Producer: Eric Heatherly; Publishers: none listed; NashVegas
– These two are celebrating their recent marriage with a lovely, lush, lilting remake of the Frank & Nancy Sinatra duet hit of 1967. Fittingly, they released it on Dec. 12, which was Frank’s birthday. Highly recommended.
Writers: none listed; Producers: Lewis Brice and Lee Brice; Publishers: none listed; Pump House
– Ya got family, faith, health and love. Ya got it all.
LEVI HUMMON/I Still Do
Writers: none listed; Producers: none listed; Publishers: none listed; Iconic
– Tuneful heartache pop. Very engaging and listenable.
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Tim McGraw Delivers ‘Downright Inspirational’ New Track - November 30, 2023
- Hit Producer & MGM Exec Jim Vienneau Dies At Age 97 - November 20, 2023
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Mickey Guyton Gives ‘A Thrilling Take’ On Tina Turner Hit - November 16, 2023