It’s a Capitol Nashville day here at “DisClaimer.”
The label has both the Disc of the Day with Carrie Underwood’s glory-hallelujah sound and the DisCovery Award winner with sensitive new troubadour Adam Hambrick.
But they’re not exactly resting on their laurels over there at BMLG. That label group has two of today’s strongest challengers, Thomas Rhett and Brett Young.
Toss in winners from Mercury’s Billy Currington and the independently released Thompson Square and you have the makings of a fine listening session.
BILLY CURRINGTON/Bring It On Over
Writers: Dallas Davidson/Rhett Akins/Ben Hayslip/Jesse Frasure; Producers: Dann Huff/Jesse Frasure; Publishers: Round Hill/Natalia’s Music Money/Warner-Tamerlane/Ritten By Rettro/WB/Thankful For This/Pinetucky Road/Telemitry RHythm House/Songs of Roc Nation, BMI/ASCAP; Mercury
– This guy has a seemingly unerring gift for hearing a hit. This crunchy, catchy ditty is like an ear worm. And as if the song isn’t cool enough, there’s a layered, multi-voice production, an echoey atmosphere and a bubbling rhythm track. Crazy good.
WATERLOO REVIVAL/Wonder Woman
Writers: George Birge/Cody Cooper/Marv Green/Ryan Tyndell; Producer: Jason Massey; Publisher: none listed; Show Dog
– Generic, routine country-pop.
Writers: Lindsay Ell/Walker Hayes/Fred Wilhelm; Producer: Kristian Bush; Publisher: none listed; Stoney Creek/BBR
– I fail to hear what this has to do with country music.
Writers: Thomas Rhett/Sean Douglas/Joe Spargur; Producers: Dann Huff/Jesse Frasure/Thomas Rhett; Publishers: EMI Blackwood/Cricket On the Line/Sony-ATV Ballad/Eastman Pond/Big Deal Beats/Brodsky Spensive/Nice Life/Words & Music, BMI; Valory Music
– Single #5 from the Life Changes CD is a slice of teen-age life with some dandy turns of phrases and truthful vignettes. Naturally, it ends with a look back from adulthood. But on the way there, your ears will fall in love with the lilting honesty and warm approach. Richly rewarding.
MORGAN EVANS/Day Drunk
Writers: Chris DeStefano/Lindy Robbins/Morgan Evans; Producer: none listed; Publishers: Warner-Chappell/Sony-ATV, no performance rights listed; Warner Bros.
– Fall might be upon us, but Morgan has a summer song that’s as bright as sunshine. The video features footage of him with Kelsea, frolicking in tropical splendor.
CARRIE UNDERWOOD/Love Wins
Writers: Carrie Underwood/David Garcia/Brett James; Producers: David Garcia/Underwood; Publishers: Carrie-Okie/Universal/Brentwood Benson/D Soul/CapitolCMG/Songs of Brett/WB, BMI/ASCAP; Capitol (track)
– A full-throated, inspirational shout to the heavens about the ultimate victory of brotherhood over violence, prejudice, madness and hatred. I’m in.
ADAM HAMBRICK/Rockin’ All Night Long
Writers: Adam Hambrick/Kelly Archer/Pete Good; Producer: Andrew DeRoberts; Publishers: ole Red Cape/RED Like the Sunset/Stars and Stripes and Maple Leaf/Crack the Glass/Downtown DMP/Garda/King Pen/Songs of Downtown, ASCAP/BMI/SESAC; Capitol/Buena Vista
– Sweet and charming. His yearning tenor recalls the innocence of youth on a spree, “drinking up every moment ‘til it’s gone.” Hambrick has a reputation as a songwriter for others on Music Row. This debut puts a spotlight on him as a performer. Welcome to the winner’s circle, buddy.
BRETT YOUNG/Here Tonight
Writers: Brett Young/Ben Caver/Justin Ebach/Charles Kelley; Producer: Dann Huff; Publishers: none listed; BMLG
-Sexy. A romantic swoon. A crooning come-on.
Writers: Keifer Thompson; Producer: none listed; Publishers: none listed; T2
– I am so fond of these two. This lovely song compares the creation of their love to the great works of Shakespeare, Beethoven, Da Vinci and other one-of-a-kind geniuses. An anthem for all lovers, everywhere. Truly uplifting — it will make you want to hold tightly to whoever is dear to you.
TEGAN MARIE/I Know How To Make A Boy Cry
Writers: Tegan Marie/Nathan Chapman; Producer: none listed; Publishers: none listed; Warner Bros.
– This is loaded with hooks and personality. I could have done without the “na-na-na” passages, but otherwise it’s enormously listenable.
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Tim McGraw Delivers ‘Downright Inspirational’ New Track - November 30, 2023
- Hit Producer & MGM Exec Jim Vienneau Dies At Age 97 - November 20, 2023
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Mickey Guyton Gives ‘A Thrilling Take’ On Tina Turner Hit - November 16, 2023