Ashley Campbell is set to release her debut album The Lonely One on her own Whistle Stop Records May 11. The triple threat songwriter, singer and banjo virtuoso co-wrote all 13 songs on the album, which chronicles the personal journey of a young woman grappling with grown-up choices. Campbell penned a track with her banjo mentor, Carl Jackson, on the project, which also features tracks co-written with Brad and Brett Warren, Billy Montana, Bobby Pinson, and more.
The Lonely One was co-produced by Ashley and her brother Cal Campbell and mostly recorded at Cal’s Agoura Borealis studios in Los Angeles. Older brother Shannon Campbell contributes vocals and guitar as well, and co-wrote the track “Looks Like Time” with Ashley. The title track of the album is due out tomorrow.
The daughter of legend Glen Campbell, Ashley initially pursued dance and acting and even performed for a time with The Groundlings, the LA comedy institution whose famous alumni include Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig and Lisa Kudrow. But when Ashley was asked to learn banjo for a part in a play, a spark was lit and her calling was found. She soon studied with banjo luminary Carl Jackson (her godfather and longtime member of Glen’s band) and mastered her technique. She would go on to join her father’s touring band, including his poignant Goodbye Tour in 2011-12, and appear in the award-winning 2015 documentary Glen Campbell: I’ll Be Me, contributing the original song “Remembering,” which looks at Campbell’s struggles with Alzheimer’s through his daughter’s eyes.
She will embark on a UK tour in March, which will include a performance at the C2C Festival in London on a bill with Kacey Musgraves and Sugarland.
The Lonely One Track Listing:
1. A New Year (Ashley Campbell, Jerry Flowers and Patrick Davis)
2. Cry (Ashley Campbell, Bobby Pinson and John Caldwell)
3. Better Boyfriend (Ashley Campbell, Billy Montana and Tiffany Goss)
4. A Taken Man (Ashley Campbell, Sharon Vaughn and John Fortis)
5. The Lonely One (Ashley Campbell, Tiffany Goss and Jeremy Lister)
6. Good For You (Ashley Campbell, Autumn Rowe and Brian Kennedy)
7. Wish I Wanted To (Ashley Campbell and Mike Daly)
8. How Do You Know (Ashley Campbell, Shannon Campbell, Cal Campbell and Kiefo Nilsson)
9. Carl & Ashley’s Breakdown (Ashley Campbell and Carl Jackson)
10. What I’m Doin’ Here (Ashley Campbell, Lance Miller, Brad Warren and Brett Warren)
11. We Can’t Be Friends (Ashley Campbell and John Fortis)
12. Looks Like Time (Ashley Campbell, Shannon Campbell, Brad Warren and Brett Warren)
13. Nothing Day (Ashley Campbell and Chris Roberts)
- Bob Squance & Michael Thomas Partner With CTM To Launch Withrow Street Music - December 5, 2023
- Jelly Roll & Lainey Wilson’s ‘Save Me’ Tops The Country Charts - December 5, 2023
- Gunnar Latham Signs With Bob Doyle & Associates - December 5, 2023