Music Health Alliance is holding a “Lyrics for a Cause” benefit auction in collaboration with Julien’s Auctions 20th anniversary week-long celebration in Music City.
For the fourth consecutive year, Julien’s Auctions has partnered with Music Health Alliance to offer a rare collection of handwritten lyrics from some of the most legendary singers and songwriters from the 20th and 21s centuries. Artists from country, pop, rock, gospel/CCM, Americana, hip-hop/rap and alternative rock have handwritten and signed the lyrics of some of their greatest hits and music’s most enduring classics to aid and support underserved members of the music community in times of need.
The online auction is open now and will be held live for the first time on Nov. 14, at 6 p.m. CT at Hard Rock Cafe Nashville and online at Julien’s Live Auctions. Proceeds will benefit Music Health Alliance, the nonprofit that provides free healthcare advocacy and support, and access to critical life-saving health and financial resources for the music industry.
In celebration of its 20th anniversary as the industry leading music memorabilia auction house, Julien’s will present the auction live for the first time in Nashville and display the lyrics—written on mediums from paper to guitars—at Hard Rock Cafe Nashville from Nov. 6-14. Exclusive highlights include lyrics inscribed and signed by artists on guitars donated by Gibson’s charitable arm Gibson Gives, whose mission is to support nonprofit organizations that advance musicians, youth-focused education, music and wellness initiatives.
Among the highlighted handwritten song lyrics signed are:
- Brenda Lee, “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” on Brenda Lee’s two silver-tone California Magdesians short wedge shoes featuring the award-winning vocalist’s handwritten scribe that reads, “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” and on the right shoe “Love, Brenda Lee”
- David Foster handwritten bars and lyrics, signed, “The Prayer” (recorded by Celine Dion/Andrea Bocelli)
- Chris Stapleton signed, “Tennessee Whiskey” handwritten by Dean Dillon
- Cole Swindell, “She Had Me at Head’s Carolina” (co-written with Thomas Rhett) and handwritten lyrics on a Lone Star cowboy hat signed by Cole Swindell and Ashley Gorley and branded with initials AG received at the ACM’s After Party after winning Song Of The Year
- Toby Mac/Mark Heimermann, “Jesus Freak” (recorded by DC Talk, handwritten and signed by Toby Mac)
- Eric Church handwritten and signed, “Springsteen”
- Garth Brooks, “If Tomorrow Never Comes”, handwritten by co-writer Kent Blazy. Other song lyrics offered by Brooks include “The Dance” handwritten and signed by co-writer Tony Arata, and “Unanswered Prayers”, handwritten by co-writer Pat Alger accompanied by an original black-and-white photo of Brooks and his fellow creators commemorating the song at ASCAP’s No. 1 party, dated February 1991. All three sets of lyrics will be personally signed by Brooks to the winning bidders
- Dickey Lee, “She Thinks I Still Care” (recorded by George Jones)
- George Strait, “Troubadour” (co-written and signed by Monty Holmes and Leslie Satcher)
- Hardy/Lainey Wilson, “Wait in the Truck”, (handwritten on a Gibson G-45 acoustic guitar in natural finish, signed by Hardy, Wilson, and co-writer Hunter Phelps)
- Hozier, “Take Me to Church”, (signed on a signature Hozier branded canvas tote bag)
- Jason Aldean signed “She’s Country” (co-written with Danny Myrick/Bridgette Tatum and signed by Danny Myrick)
- John Michael Montgomery, “I Can Love You Like That”, (handwritten by Jennifer Kimball/band and signed by co-writers Maribeth Derry/Steve Diamond/Jennifer Kimball)
- Keith Urban, “Blue Ain’t Your Color” (on a Gibson Les Paul Custom electric guitar, housed in an original Gibson hard-shell case
- Kelsea Ballerini, “Half of my Hometown” (recorded with Kenny Chesney and co-written with Ross Copperman/Nicolle Galyon/Shane McAnally/Jimmy Robbins; lyrics handwritten by Kelsea Ballerini and signed by Kenny Chesney on an Epiphone Hummingbird Studio acoustic guitar )
- Melissa Etheridge, “I’m the Only One” (handwritten and signed on an Epiphone Hummingbird Guitar in a faded Cherry Gloss finish)
- Otis Redding, “Sittin’ on The Dock of the Bay” (handwritten by co-writer Steve Cropper and accompanied with Cropper’s hand-painted watercolor illustration of San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge as visual elements highlighting the Bay Area)
- Rick Springfield, “Jessie’s Girl” (on a Fender Squier SA-105 acoustic guitar)
- Roger Cook, “l’d Like to Teach the World to Sing” (co-written with Roger Greenaway/Bill Backer)
- Two of The Eagles’ great original recorded hits written by legends JD Souther, Glenn Frey, and Don Henley, “Best of My Love”(handwritten/signed by JD Souther) and No. 1 hit, “New Kid in Town” (handwritten/signed by JD Souther)
- Tim McGraw, “Humble and Kind” (handwritten/signed by co-writer Lori McKenna)
“Julien’s Auctions is honored and privileged to partner again with Music Health Alliance on our annual benefit relief initiative,” says Martin Nolan, Executive Director and Co-Founder of Julien’s Auction. “For 20 years, Julien’s has included philanthropy in our auctions to give back to the music community that has touched our lives through their artistry and gifts. We look forward to presenting this auction for the first time in Nashville where the public will be offered a chance to own these special and unique lyrics of some of the biggest songs in music history while supporting this critical and important cause.”
Registration is required to bid in this online auction and can be done in person at the exhibition, or online before the sale at the JuliensAuctions.com. Visit the registration page to bid by phone, proxy, or in person, or bid online at JuliensLive.com or by calling 310-836-1818.
- Mediabase Reveals 2023 Year-End Chart Stats, Big Loud Lands In First Place - December 8, 2023
- Cooper Alan Among The Pandora Ten: Artists To Watch In 2024 - December 8, 2023
- Kidd G Drops Memory-Packed New EP ‘If We Were A Love Song’ - December 8, 2023