The Music Business Association (Music Biz) has unveiled more details regarding its upcoming Music Biz 2023 conference, set to take place May 15-18, 2023 at the JW Marriott Nashville. The organization has announced the second of its three keynotes, the finalists for this year’s Bizzy Awards, and the presentation of the first-ever Impact Award to SoundExchange, along with over 150 new speakers to bring the total to over 300 participating industry experts.
All three keynote interviews at Music Biz 2023 will be led by Association President Portia Sabin and held under the Music Biz LIVE banner. Indie artist LU KALA; Jillian Rutstein, Director, Digital & Creative Synch for Prescription Songs and Amigo Records; and Tracy Gardner, Head of Label Licensing & Partnerships for TikTok, will participate in the final keynote interview on the morning of Thursday, May 18.
Additionally, Kobalt Founder & Chairman Willard Ahdritz has been confirmed for a keynote conversation on Tuesday, May 16, introduced by a special presentation from Luminate CEO Rob Jonas. Details for the Music Biz LIVE keynote taking place Monday, May 15 will be unveiled in the coming days.
Music Biz will also award industry executives at its second annual Bizzy Awards dinner on the evening of Wednesday, May 17. The evening’s festivities will be hosted by Noelle Scaggs, co-lead vocalist for Fitz and the Tantrums, an Elektra solo recording artist, and founder of Diversify the Stage. Nominees are below.
Additional honors to be given during the 2023 Bizzys include the Impact Award for Technological Excellence, which honors a company or individual that is at the forefront of innovation in the music business, by providing solutions to meet the needs of the modern industry or pioneering the ways it will operate in the future. SoundExchange will receive the first-ever Impact Award, in recognition of their two decades of leadership and technological innovation ensuring that artists receive the royalties they are owed accurately and on time.
MNRK Music Group’s SVP and General Manager, Nashville’s Gina Miller will receive the Association’s Presidential Award for Outstanding Executive Achievement, which is one of the Association’s highest and longest-standing honors.
An up-to-date interactive schedule for Music Biz 2023, including speakers and panel descriptions, can be found here.
2023 Bizzy Awards Nominees:
Leading Light Award (For a company or executive that has supported their staff via internal initiatives aimed at improving mental health & wellbeing and work/life balance.)
– Mike Heyliger, The Orchard
– Sarah Robertson, A to Z Media
– Warner Music Group
Agent of Change Award (For a company that exemplifies a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in their hiring practices, executive development, and promotion structure.)
– mtheory Equal Access Development Program
– Recording Artists and Music Professionals with Disabilities (RAMPD)
– Sony Music Publishing
– Warner Music Group
#NEXTGEN_NOW One To Watch Award (For an executive under 40 whose work (professional and/or volunteer) has been exceptional, innovative, and stands out as a contribution to the industry.)
– Chris Dampier, TuneCore
– Jenna Gaudio, Vydia
– Sarah Janiszewski, TIDAL
– Lindsey Major, The Mechanical Licensing Collective (The MLC)
– Emilio Morales, Rimas Publishing
Master of Metadata Award (For a company or executive who has made a significant impact in the area of data processing, credit clarification, streamlining or otherwise promoting clean data and best practices.)
– Kim Beauchamp, Universal Music Group
– Scott Farrant, Kobalt Music
– BMAT Music Innovators
Frontline Innovator (For a retail store who showed exceptional inventiveness and ingenuity in their practices during the past year in their interactions with consumers.)
– D. Tobago Benito, DBS Sounds/ F.A.M.S. Coalition
– Harry Crumpler, T-Bones Records & Cafe
– Gallery of Sound
– Park Ave CDs
Marketing Superstar (For a marketing campaign that was innovative and thought provoking. Candidates can be from any sector of the industry, and campaigns can be physical or virtual.)
– “Drink to This” presented by Macklemore | FlyteVu
– Encanto IRL Meta Reels Activation | Disney Music Group and Meta
– Jack White — Fear of the Dawn / Entering Heaven Alive | Third Man Records, The Orchard, Monotone
– Scene Queen | Hopeless Records
Music Business Educator of the Year (Celebrates a music business educator who inspires students to enter the music business.)
– Kevin Block-Shwenk, Berklee College of Music
– Serona Elton, Frost School of Music – University of Miami
– Shea Fowler, Belmont University; University of New Haven
– Clyde Rolston, Belmont University
- Industry Ink: Clint Black, Moe Bandy, Cassadee Pope - November 30, 2023
- BREAKING: Carson James & Chris Poole Exit BBR Music Group/BMG Amid Restructuring - November 30, 2023
- Jordan Minton Inks Deal With Sony Music Publishing Nashville - November 30, 2023