The Mechanical Licensing Collective (The MLC) recently held its second Annual Membership Meeting, at which key metrics from the last year were shared. Additionally, three current members of The MLC Board of Directors were selected to serve a second three-year term on the Board.
In the year and a half since launching full operations, The MLC has met every milestone set by Congress in the Music Modernization Act of 2018 and distributed nearly $700 million in blanket royalties.
“We are incredibly proud of these accomplishments,” says The MLC CEO Kris Ahrend. “Our team has worked hard to build robust data processing systems that allow us to distribute royalties accurately and on time. We have also released a suite of tools for our members that enable them to manage their catalog data effectively and correct any missing or inaccurate data they find. While there is still more work to do, we are pleased with our progress and are deeply appreciative of all the support we have received from our members and from the broader industry at large.”
During the meeting, a representative from the accounting and audit firm, Withum, shared the results of The MLC’s recent Class B Board Seat election. Tim Cohan and Scott Cutler were each elected to serve as Board Directors for a second 3-year term. Similarly, The MLC’s Class A Members selected Kara DioGuardi to serve a second 3-year term as a Songwriter Director on the Board.
The MLC also announced that its Class C Members will not change in 2023, though Sony Music Publishing has selected Michael Abitbol to fill their Director seat, which was recently vacated by Peter Brodsky. More information on The MLC’s Board of Directors and Advisory Committees can be found here.
Meeting Highlights From The MLC’s Leadership Team included:
- The MLC has collected almost $1 billion in mechanical royalties.
- As a result of The MLC’s efforts, rightsholders have received more than $800 million in royalties–nearly $700 million in blanket royalties distributed directly by The MLC and nearly $120 million in royalties processed by The MLC but paid by DSPs pursuant to voluntary licenses.
- The MLC’s current match rate for all royalties processed through September’s royalty distribution is 89 percent, while The MLC’s initial match rates for newly reported usage has exceeded 85 percent for six straight months.
- The MLC now has more than 22,000 members, having added more than 6,000 to date in 2022.
- The MLC has received more than 17 million works registrations to date and has processed more than 98 percent of those registrations.
- The MLC has completed 19 monthly royalty distributions to date, every one of which has been completed on time or early.
- Nate Smith Nabs First Chart-Topper With Debut Single, ‘Whiskey On You’ - January 30, 2023
- Ross Copperman Makes His Way Into The Top Five On MusicRow Top Songwriter Chart - January 30, 2023
- Weekly Register: Hardy Makes Massive Debuts On Country Albums & Songs Charts - January 30, 2023