Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter Billy Strings has announced that Me/And/Dad, the first album he’s recorded with his father, Terry Barber, will drop on Nov. 18 via Rounder Records.
A longtime dream of Strings and Barber, the 14-track collection will feature versions of bluegrass and country classics that the two have been playing together since Strings was a child. The father-son duo’s new versions of bluegrass traditional “Long Journey Home” and George Jones’ “Life To Go” are available now.
“As long as I can remember, [I’ve] wanted to make a record with my dad. I’ve been burning up and down the highways the last 12 years, and as time slips away, you start thinking, ‘I need to make time.’ It’s been a bucket list thing for me, something I’ve been afraid I wouldn’t find the time to do. And that scared me; not doing this record scared me,” shares Strings.
Recorded at Nashville’s Sound Emporium Studio, the album, produced by Strings and Gary Paczosa, finds the pair alternating both guitar and vocal leads. Additionally, the record features an all-star band, including bassist Mike Bub, mandolinist Ron McCoury, banjo player Rob McCoury and fiddler Michael Cleveland, as well as special appearances by Jerry Douglas, Jason Carter and Strings’ mother, Debra Barber, who sings on the final track, “I Heard My Mother Weeping.”
Me/And/Dad follows Strings’ Renewal, which was one of the Top 50 Most Played Albums at Americana Radio last year. A respected musician across many genres, Strings has also collaborated with a wide variety of artists, including Bill Kreutzmann, Luke Combs, Del McCoury, Fences, RMR and more.
Me/And/Dad Track List:
1. Long Journey Home (bluegrass traditional)
2. Life To Go (written by George Jones)
3. Way Downtown (written by Doc Watson)
4. Little Blossom (written by Hank Thompson)
5. Peartree (written by Arthel Lane “Doc” Watson, Gaither Carlton)
6. Stone Walls and Steel Bars (written by Ray Pennington, Roy Eugene Marcum)
7. Little White Church (written by Eugene Wellman)
8. Dig A Little Deeper (In The Well) (written by Jody Emerson, Roger Bowling)
9. Wandering Boy (written by A.P. Carter)
10. John Deere Tractor (written by Lawrence Hammond)
11. Frosty Morn (bluegrass traditional)
12. I Haven’t Seen Mary In Years (written by Damon Black)
13. Little Cabin Home On The Hill (written by Lester Flatt, Bill Monroe)
14. Heard My Mother Weeping (written by Carl Story, Lowell Blanchard)
- Elle King, Jimmie Allen, & Rachel Smith To Host ‘New Year’s Eve Live’ - November 16, 2022
- CRB Announces Nominees For CRS 2023’s New Faces Of Country Music Show - November 14, 2022
- Ingrid Andress Announces ‘The Good Person Tour’ - November 14, 2022