Sun Records Celebrates 70th Anniversary With Specially Curated Album Compilation
Sun Records is issuing a new special collection, Sun Records’ 70th Anniversary Compilation Volume 2: Curated By Music Supervisors, featuring contributions from ten of the industry’s top music supervisors, on Aug. 19.
Available digitally and on vinyl, the new project will include evergreens and rare gems by artists from the Sun catalog, including James Cotton, Linda Martell, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, The Dixie Cups, The Imperial Wonders, Rufus Thomas Jr., and Barbara Pittman.
An all-star team of music experts selected the compilation tracks for the album, which will also feature liner notes written by the contributors filled with insightful contextual commentary.
Music supervisors who curated the project include Gary Calamar (The Three-Body Problem, True Blood), George Drakoulias (The Batman, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent), Kerri Drootin (Vice President, Music Supervision and Licensing, Universal Studio Group), Thomas Golubić (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul), Eric David Johnson aka DJ Bunny Ears (Music Supervisor/Music Producer, DJ Bunny Ears LLC), Mike Ladman (Droga5), Mary Ramos (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), Jen Ross (Bel-Air, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist), Amani “Burt Blackarach” Smith (The Wonder Years), and Tony Von Pervieux (Ted Lasso).
“To me, Linda Martell’s ‘Color Him Father’ perfectly captures a unique and beautiful American spirit. The song is a country adaptation of an R&B hit (A-side to ‘Amen Brother’ by the Winstons-all you hip hop heads),” Golubic explains. “It was recorded with a tight Nashville band, every player right in the pocket, on her one and only album. Linda’s voice soars above, singing sincere and true, a girl expressing her love for her stepfather, a man of decency and kindness, taking her in as his own. It moves me with every listen.”
Sun is celebrating the label’s 70th anniversary this year with a variety of re-releases and compilations, leading up to an event in Nashville this October.
Sun Records’ 70th Anniversary Compilation Volume 2: Curated By Music Supervisors Track List:
1. James Cotton – “My Baby” Chosen by Eric David Johnson Aka Dj Bunny Ears
2. Linda Martell – “Color Him Father” Chosen by Thomas Golubic
3. Roy Orbison – “Ooby Dooby” Chosen by George Drakoulias
4. Johnny Cash – “Guess Things Happen That Way” Chosen by Jen Ross
5. The Dixie Cups – “Iko Iko” Chosen by Tony Von Pervieux
6. The Imperial Wonders – “Trying to Get to You” Chosen by Mike Ladman
7. Rufus Thomas Jr. – “Bear Cat” Chosen by Amani Smith
8. Johnny Cash – “Wide Open Road” Chosen by Gary Calamar
9. Barbara Pittman – “I Need a Man” Chosen by Kerri Drootin
10. Roy Orbison – “Sweet and Easy to Love” Chosen by Mary Ramos