So many of my favorites checked in with new music this week.
My personal playlist always has room for anything that Little Big Town, Kip Moore, Brothers Osborne and Gone West put out. This week is no exception.
Any one of them could win a Disc of the Day award. So could FGL or Dan Smalley, for that matter. I’m going with the unstoppably talented Brothers Osborne.
Hand a DisCovery Award to Ashland Craft. She sounds like a star to me.
BROTHERS OSBORNE/All Night
Writers: John Osborne/TJ Osborne/Andrew DeRoberts; Producer: Jay Joyce; Publisher: Trampy McCauley/All The King’s Pens/WB/Songstein/Songs in the Key of Claire/Patriot GamesDTCM/DTCM Ave., ASCAP; EMI Nashville
– TJ is at his sexy, growling best on this rhythm-soaked stomper. John’s lickety-split guitar solo is an ear tickling wonder. Deserves massive airplay.
Writers: Randy Montana/Channing Wilson; Producer: Jonathan Singleton; Publisher: Sony/ATV Tree Publishing/Super LCS Publishing/Heart Scarred Songs/Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp.; Big Loud Records/50 Egg Records
– There’s no denying her smoldering, sultry voice. The slow-burn ballad has enough built-in heat to barbecue your dinner.
FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE/Second Guessing
Writers: Andrew DeRoberts/Benjamin Simonetti/Brian Kelley/Corey Crowder/Ester Dean/Geoff Warburton/Griffen Palmer/Ryan Tedder/Shane McAnally/Tyler Hubbard; Producer: Corey Crowder/Tyler Hubbard/Brian Kelley; Publisher: none listed; BMLG
– This won on the TV-contest show Songland earlier this week. It’s a stately ballad with hooks a-plenty and a slow-waltz groove that’s swoon worthy. Canadian songwriter Palmer also co-wrote Keith Urban’s current “Polaroid.”
ACID COWBOY/High Desert
Writers: Ross Francis/Jordan Chini; Producer: none listed; Publisher: none listed; Acid Cowboy
– Love the stage name. The track is kinda swirly and dreamy, which matches the lost-in-love lyric. The main drawback is that the echo on the vocal is laid on too thick.
LITTLE BIG TOWN/Wine, Beer, Whiskey
Writers: Jimi Westbrook/Karen Fairchild/Kimberly Schlapman/Phillip Sweet/Sean McConnell/Tofer Brown; Producer: Little Big Town; Publisher: none listed; Capitol Nashville
– This is quite a change of pace. The foursome sets aside its vocal harmony trademark and adopts a chanted, unison style for this densely produced, rowdy drinking song. The rhythm track stomps along and trumpets stutter in the background. Highly inventive.
GONE WEST/Slow Down
Writers: Colbie Callait/Jamie S. Kenney/Justin Young/Jason Bradford Reeves/Canelle Leverett Reeves; Producer: Jamie Kenney; Publisher: none listed; Warner Tamerlane/Carver/WC/MRMD/Songs from Outer Space; Triple Tigers
– Delicious listening. This rolls like a semi on a straight stretch of interstate. You can almost feel the wind in your hair. I love, love, love this record.
Writers: JT Harding/Lindsay Rimes/Noah Schnacky; Producer: Dann Huff; Publisher: none listed; BMLG
– Over-produced country pop for teen girls.
GABBY BARRETT/The Good Ones
Writers: Emily Landis/Gabby Barrett/Jim McCormick/Zachary Kale; Producer: Ross Copperman/Zach Kale; Publisher: none listed; Warner
– Her vocal is too compressed, and the track isn’t very “country.” But the song is solid, and the sentiment rings true.
DAN SMALLEY/If I’m Being Honest
Writers: Mark Addison Chandler/Daniel Eric Smalley/Davis Benjamin Corley; Producer: Keith Stegall/Brian D. Maher; Publisher: none listed; Big Machine
– Warm and friendly. It has a conversational troubadour quality that is mighty attractive. The lyric really stands up on close examination, too. Very promising, indeed.
KIP MOORE/Crazy For You Tonight
Writers: Kip Moore/Westin Davis/Eric Daly; Producer: Kip Moore; Publisher: none listed; MCA Nashville
– The vocal snuggles up next to you and breathes in your ear. He has long since proved himself as a rocker. This intimate track gives him some lovey-dovey starshine.
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Marty Stuart, Blake Shelton, Tiera, Caitlyn Smith, Old Dominion - January 21, 2021
- Country Entertainer Hugh X. Lewis Dies At Age 90 - January 19, 2021
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Rhonda Vincent, Sister Sadie, Carolina Blue, The Grascals - January 14, 2021