As a writer for Grammy award-winning producer Dave Cobb‘s Low Country Sound, Adam Hood is most known for his songs recorded by Miranda Lambert, Brent Cobb, Anderson East, Lee Ann Womack and Little Big Town, and after years of writing for others, Somewhere in Between, is an album that finally finds Hood telling his own story. Due Oct. 12 on Hood’s label Southern Songs, the deeply autobiographical record features Hood writing or co-writing 10 of the record’s 11 tracks alongside friends Pat McLaughlin, Brent Cobb, who appears on the electrified “She Don’t Love Me,” and Josh Abbott.
Teaming up with friend and producer Oran Thornton (Miranda Lambert ‘Revolution,’ Eric Church ‘Caught In The Act: Live,’ Angaleena Presley ‘Wrangled’), Hood recorded most of the album live at Nashville’s Sound Emporium Studios over two quick days. His goal was to create something that reflected the raw, real sound of his concerts, where overdubs and unlimited takes are never an option. The result is a record that reflects Hood’s Opelika, Alabama-bred working class roots, mixing the upbeat thrill of roadhouse roots-rock songs with the contemplative, stripped-down sway of country ballads.
Joining him in the studio were guitarist Pat McLaughlin, bassist Lex Price, and drummer Jerry Roe. Hood celebrates America’s rural pockets with songs like “Keeping Me Here” and “Real Small Town,” two songs filled with images of main streets, open landscapes, hard times, and good people. A dedicated family man, Hood wrote “Locomotive” — a heartland anthem, full of Telecaster twang and sunny swagger — after watching his young daughter develop her motor skills while playing with a set of blocks, and balancing his life as a relentless road-warrior, Hood penned highway ballad “Downturn” about a life filled with wanderlust and long drives from gig to gig.
Somewhere In Between Tracklist:
1. Heart of a Queen (Adam Hood, Ben Danaher)
2. She Don’t Love Me (ft. Brent Cobb) (Adam Hood, Brent Cobb, Josh Abbott)
3. Alabama Moon (Adam Hood, Pat McLaughlin)
4. Downturn (Adam Hood, Jason Eady)
5. The Weekend (Adam Hood, Pat McLaughlin)
6. Bayou Girl (Willis Alan Ramsey)
7. Easy Way (Adam Hood, Pat McLaughlin)
8. Locomotive (Adam Hood, Jason Saenz)
9. Keeping Me Here (Adam Hood, Jason Saenz, Oran Thornton, Jared Hicks)
10. Real Small Town (Adam Hood, William Clark Green)
11. Confederate Rose (Adam Hood, Pat McLaughlin)
- CMA Honors Robert Deaton With Chairman’s Award - December 4, 2020
- Nashville Symphony, Nashville Musicians Association Reach Agreement - December 4, 2020
- Zach Williams’ “Chain Breaker” Is Most-Added On ‘MusicRow’ CountryBreakout Radio Chart - December 4, 2020