It’s Ladies Day here at DISClaimer.
Get set to play the dickens out of the new platters by Maren Morris and Ashley McBryde. They are sharing the Disc of the Day prize.
Cash Creek, Locash and Zac Brown continue their winning ways, so pay heed to those releases as well.
NASCAR driver Tyler Williams earns this week’s DisCovery Award.
CASH CREEK/Make Your Mama Proud
Writers: none listed; Producers: none listed; Publishers: none listed; Heartland
– Jaunty, light-hearted and highly enjoyable. The message is a winner, too: Don’t try to be what you’re not or chase after what’s not important. Just be yourself, shine in your own space and live with honor. Love it.
KID ROCK/American Rock ‘n’ Roll
Writers: none listed; Producer: none listed; Publishers: none listed; BMG (download)
– I dislike pretty much everything about this artist. His rapping. His looks. His attitude. His genre hopping. And today, his singing this bogus anthem.
AARON WATSON/Run Wild Horses
Writers: none listed; Producers: Aaron Watson/Marshall Altman; Publishers: none listed; Big Label (track)
– This atmospheric, steady thumper has very groovy guitar licks. The lyric compares the rush of romantic passion with an out-of-control mustang. Watson is a highly successful, d.i.y. artist with a dozen albums and a string of sold-out concerts. This nicely produced track is drawn from his 2017 CD Vaquero.
ZAC BROWN & SIR ROSEVELT/It Goes On
Writers: none listed; Producer: none listed; Publishers: none listed
-This is from the soundtrack of the Chris Hemsworth movie 12 Strong. But it stands on its own as a soaring sentiment about enduring devotion. The orchestral accompaniment as it builds in intensity is superbly arranged. Sir Rosevelt is a trio that is Zac’s side project, but he will also continue to make music with his band.
TYLER WILLIAMS/Good For Me
Writers: none listed; Producers: Jonathan Roye; Publishers: none listed; Eight Seven (track)
– This guy is a champion NASCAR driver who sings in a solid, confident way about weathering a failed relationship. The swirling track supports him at every turn. Williams is also a motivational speaker and the author of an inspirational-style book titled I Have a Voice.
Writers: Maren Morris/Jessie Jo Dillon/Laura Veltz; Producers: busbee/Maren Morris; Publishers: none listed, BMI; Columbia Nashville
– This bopping tune has been delighting her audiences for months. Feisty and frothy, it’s about a no-good guy she keeps returning to. If she had a dollar for every time she was right about what a bum he is……
GREG HUDIK/She Loves Kissing Girls
Writers: Hudik; Producer: Hudik; Publishers: none listed; Platinum
– His vocal has a muffled audio quality and is somewhat buried in the mix. Which is probably okay, since he doesn’t sing all that well to start with.
ASHLEY McBRYDE/American Scandal
Writers: none listed; Producer: none listed; Publishers: none listed; Warner Bros.
– She sings the fire outta this. The song is torrid enough with its lyric of forbidden love (”love me like Kennedy and Monroe”). Her performance of it burns the house down. I absolutely cannot wait for the album by my newcomer-of-the-year.
LINDI ORTEGA/The Comeback Kid
Writers: Ortega/Skylar Wilson; Producer: Skylar Wilson; Publishers: Last Gang/Ole Media Management/Catpad, SOCAN/SESAC; Shadowbox (track)
– I am a fan of this quirky Canadian singer-songwriter. On this oddball ballad, she sings in a wispy soprano in an echo chamber. The haunting lyric seems to be about someone who was killed, but didn’t really die or somehow returned from beyond the grave. It is the lead single from her CD titled Liberty, due in six weeks.
LOCASH/Don’t Get Better Than That
Writers: none listed; Producer: none listed; Publishers: none listed; Reviver (download)
– It has a certain nervous energy that is infectious. The double-time rhythm track is the star here, but the top-down, head-to-the-sky, soaring vocals will grab ya, too.
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Luke Grimes Releases ‘Relaxed, Thoughtful’ New Cover - December 7, 2023
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Tim McGraw Delivers ‘Downright Inspirational’ New Track - November 30, 2023
- Hit Producer & MGM Exec Jim Vienneau Dies At Age 97 - November 20, 2023