Producer Dave Cobb Welcomes All-Star Cast For ‘Southern Family’ Album
Zac Brown, Miranda Lambert and Chris Stapleton have signed on for a new concept album produced and spearheaded by Grammy-nominated producer Dave Cobb.
Southern Family will release March 18 via Cobb’s Low Country Sound/Elektra Records. The project features 10 original songs, along with two covers, including Morgane Stapleton with Chris Stapleton on “You Are My Sunshine.” Brandy Clark, Brent Cobb, Anderson East, Jason Isbell, Shooter Jennings, Jamey Johnson, Rich Robinson, John Paul White and Holly Williams will also be included.
The album is inspired by 1978’s White Mansions, a Civil War concept album written by British performer Paul Kennerley, produced by Glyn Johns and featuring American musicians like Waylon Jennings and Eric Clapton.
Cobb says, “Somebody said, ‘You should make a concept record,’ and I kind of giggled about it for a second. But, then I thought, man, wouldn’t it be amazing to have all my friends on one record and really find a common thread? Southern Family, about their mothers, grandparents, kids, siblings, these detailed stories about how they grew up and their families and the things that make them who they are.”
He adds, “This really encapsulates Nashville right now. There’s something to it. There’s something in the air. There’s a lot of great things about Nashville. There’s something here that doesn’t exist anywhere else in my lifetime. I’m sure this happened in London in the ‘60s and California in the ‘70s and maybe New York in the late ’50s or early ‘60s. But I think, right now, Nashville is the home of music.”
In addition to being nominated for Producer of the Year at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards, Cobb is also nominated for Album of the Year and Best Country Album (both for Stapleton’s Traveller) and Best Americana Album (Isbell’s Something More Than Free).
Previous awards include the 2015 CMA Award for Album of the Year (Traveller) and the 2014 Americana Music Award for Album of the Year (Isbell’s Southeastern) as well as Grammy nominations in 2011 and 2007 for Best Country Album (Johnson’s The Guitar Song and That Lonesome Song).
Southern Family Track List
1. John Paul White, “Simple Song”
2. Jason Isbell, “God Is A Working Man”
3. Brent Cobb, “Down Home”
4. Miranda Lambert, “Sweet By and By”
5. Morgane Stapleton with Chris Stapleton, “You Are My Sunshine”
6. Zac Brown, “Grandma’s Garden”
7. Jamey Johnson, “Momma’s Table”
8. Anderson East, “Learning”
9. Holly Williams, “Settle Down”
10. Brandy Clark, “I Cried”
11. Shooter Jennings, “Can You Come Over”?
12. Rich Robinson (featuring The Settles Connection), “The Way Home”
- CMA Honors Robert Deaton With Chairman’s Award - December 4, 2020
- Nashville Symphony, Nashville Musicians Association Reach Agreement - December 4, 2020
- Zach Williams’ “Chain Breaker” Is Most-Added On ‘MusicRow’ CountryBreakout Radio Chart - December 4, 2020
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!