ASCAP honored a plethora of artists and songwriters at last night’s (May 6) ASCAP Christian Music Awards, held at the Franklin Theater in Franklin, Tenn. After opening with a prayer, group Finding Favour began with an acoustic performance of “Slip On By.” Jon Egan, on the worship staff at Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colo., performed “Overcome,” and shared the story’s origin. Daniel Bashta also performed his self-penned song “God’s Not Dead.”
Phil Keaggy, who has recorded more than 50 albums and who dominated the Dove Awards’ Instrumental album award category from 1998-2001, was awarded with the Golden Note award. Keaggy’s close friends Chris and Jan Harris introduced Keaggy and congratulated him not only on the award, but on celebrating 40 years of marriage to wife Bernadette. ASCAP’s Paul Williams called Keaggy a “soul catcher, because when you play, you catch our souls.”
Keaggy did just that, when he brought the crowd to their feet in an extended standing ovation while he performed “Salvation Army Band” on acoustic guitar.
Other top awards handed out that evening included Christian Music Publisher of the Year, which Capitol Christian CMG took home for a 10th consecutive year. Song of the Year went to Matt Redman‘s “10,000 Reasons.” Matthew West was honored as Songwriter/Artist of the Year. Ben Glover, who has earned more than 20 No. 1 hits on both the Country and Christian charts was honored as Songwriter of the Year.
ASCAP’s Michael Martin and LeAnn Phelan were on hand to honor the writers and publishers of some of Christian music’s best-selling compositions.Those in attendance included Michael W. Smith, Amy Grant, Chris August, Jason Gray, Brandon Heath, Dan Muckala, Josh Wilson, The Afters and others.
Songs honored during the evening include:
1. “Carry Me To The Cross,” performed by Kutless and written by Nick de Partee. Publishers: Capitol CMG Music Publishing, Indecisive Music Publishing, Thirsty Moon River Publishing
2. “10,000 Reasons,” written and performed by Matt Redman. Publishers: Said and Done Music, sixsteps Music, Thankyou Music, worshiptogether.com songs
3. “White Flag,” performed by Passion ft. Chris Tomlin and written by Matt Redman. Publishers: Said and Done Music, sixsteps Music, Thankyou Music and worshiptogether.com songs
4. “God’s Not Dead,” written by Daniel Bashta and performed by Newsboys. Publishers: Go Forth Sounds, sixsteps Music, worshiptogethersongs.com
5. “Live Like That,” written by Ben Glover and performed by Sidewalk Prophets. Publishers: 9 T One Songs and Capitol CMG Publishing
6. “Proof Of Your Love,” written by Mia Fields, Ben Glover and Joel Smallbone and performed by For King and Country. Publishers: 9 T One Songs, Capitol CMG Publishing, Method To The Madness, Shankel Songs, Shout! Music Publishing, Warner/Chappell Music Publishing
7.”Busted Heart,” performed by For King and Country and written by Ben Glover and Joel Smallbone. Publishers: Method To The Madness, Screaming Norman Music, Shankel Songs, Warner/Chappell Music Publishing
8. “Jesus Friend of Sinners,” written by Matthew West and performed by Casting Crowns. Publishers: Combustion Music, Songs For Delaney and Warner/Chappell Music Publishing.
9. “Forgiveness,” Written and performed by Matthew West. Publishers: Combustion Music, Songs For Delaney, Warner/Chappell Music Publishing.
10. “Overcome,” written by Jon Egan, Benji Cowart and Michael Weaver and performed by Jeremy Camp. Publisher: Vertical Worship Songs
11.”I Need A Miracle” performed by Third Day, and written by David Carr, Mac Powell, Mark Lee and Tai Anderson.
12. “Trust In Jesus,” performed by Third Day, and written by David Carr, Mac Powell, Mark Lee and Tai Anderson.
13. “The Light In Me,” performed by Brandon Heath and written by Dan Muckala and Brandon Heath. Publishers: Big Skwawka Music, Wintergone Music.
14. “Good To be Alive,” performed by Jason Gray and written by Jason Gray and Brandon Heath. Publishers: Big Skwawka Music, Centricity Music Publishing, Nothing Is Wasted Music and Sony/ATV Music Publishing.
15. “Learning To Be The Light,” performed by Newworldson and written by Joel Parisien and Thomas Salter. Publisher: Sony/ATV Music Publishing.
16. “Love Come To Life,” performed by Big Daddy Weave and written by Michael Weaver. Publishers: Weave Country, Word Music
17. “Redeemed,” performed by Benji Cowart and Michael Weaver and performed by Big Daddy Weave. Publishers: Weave Country, Word Music.
18. “One Thing Remains,” performed by Passion ft. Kristian Stanfill and written by Brian Johnson and Jeremy Riddle. Publishers: Bethel Music Publishing, Mercy Vineyard Publishing.
19. “The Hurt and the Healer,” performed by MercyMe and written by Bart Millard, Barry Graul, James Phillip Bryson, Nathan Cochran, Michael Scheuchzer, Robby Shaffer. Publishers: Wet As A Fish Music, Simpleville Music
20. “When Mercy Found Me,” performed by Rhett Walker Band, written by Jeff Pardo. Publisher: Simple Tense Songs
21. “You Lead,” performed by Jamie Grace and written by Tim Rosenau and David Wyatt. Publishers: Songs of Emack, Capitol CMG Publishing.
22. “Me Without You,” performed by TobyMac and written by David Garcia. Publishers: D Soul Music, Capitol CMG Music Publishing
23. “He Said,” performed by Group 1 Crew featuring Chris August and written by Ben Glover and David Garcia. Publishers: 9 T One Songs, Capitol CMG Publishing, D Soul Music.
24. “All This Time,” performed by Britt Nicole and written by David Garcia, Britt Nicole, and Ben Glover. Publishers: i T One Songs, Britt Nicole Publishing, Capitol Christian CMG Publishing, D Soul Music
25. “Center Of It,” performed by Chris August and written by Ben Glover and Chris August. Publishers: 9 T One Songs, Capitol CMG Publishing, Word Music
- CMA Honors Robert Deaton With Chairman’s Award - December 4, 2020
- Nashville Symphony, Nashville Musicians Association Reach Agreement - December 4, 2020
- Zach Williams’ “Chain Breaker” Is Most-Added On ‘MusicRow’ CountryBreakout Radio Chart - December 4, 2020