Brittney Spencer is set to release her debut album, My Stupid Life, on Jan. 19 via Elektra. She is sharing the first track from the project, “Bigger Than The Song,” today (Sept. 29).
Written by Spencer, Jennifer Wayne and Tofer Brown, “Bigger Than The Song” is Spencer’s tribute to artists who curated the soundtrack to her life – Reba McEntire, Aretha Franklin, Alanis Morissette, Janet Jackson, Dolly Parton, Beyonce, Britney Spears and more. It was penned as a celebration of the simple joys of good music, and the impact a great song can have on someone’s life. CMT and BET will air the song’s video, which is also out today, on the Viacom Times Square Billboard.
My Stupid Life’s 13 tracks are a culmination of Spencer’s experience during her time trying to “make it” in Music City, discovering herself in the process. The Baltimore native moved to Nashville ten years ago, and this album is her commitment to be unapologetically herself.
“This feels like a long time coming,” says Spencer. “It took me three years from the time I released my first EP Compassion to now to release my first album. These songs serve as my introduction to country music and I wanted to give them all the time and care that they (and my fans) deserve. I wrote a lot of songs from the back corners of my mind because I wanted to take a good, deeper look at myself and create something true to who and where I am at this time in my life. The more I put the pen to my feelings and thoughts, the more I realize I’ve heard similar sentiments throughout my life. Through making this album, I’ve learned we’re not alone in our heads, and I hope this album hugs the tiny, loud parts of our overthinking brains that sometimes need it most.”
The project features award-winning collaborators including Grace Potter, Maren Morris, Abbey Cone and Sarah Buxton, plus guitar contributions by Jason Isbell.
Next month, Spencer will make her Austin City Limits television debut as well as her debut at ACL Fest.
My Stupid Life Track Listing:
1. “New To This Town” (Brittney Spencer)
2. “I Got Time” (Spencer, Jessica Cayne, Nate Campany, Emily Reid)
3. “Night In (Phone Call)”
4. “Night In” (Spencer, Cayne, Summer Overstreet)
5. “Bigger Than The Song” (Spencer, Jennifer Anne Wayne, Tofer Brown)
6. “My First Rodeo” (Spencer, Cayne, Sean Douglas, Zach Skelton)
7. “The Last Time” (Spencer, Sean McConnell, Sarah Buxton)
8. “Deeper” (Spencer, Tayla Parx, Gustav Landell)
9. “First Car Feeling” (Spencer, Cayne, Kat Higgins)
10. “Desperate” (Spencer, Emily Falvey, Mikey Reeves)
11. “If You Say So” (Spencer)
12. “My Stupid Life” (Spencer, James Brock Human, McConnell)
13. “Reaching Out” (Spencer, Joe Kirkland)
- Mediabase Reveals 2023 Year-End Chart Stats, Big Loud Lands In First Place - December 8, 2023
- Cooper Alan Among The Pandora Ten: Artists To Watch In 2024 - December 8, 2023
- Kidd G Drops Memory-Packed New EP ‘If We Were A Love Song’ - December 8, 2023