DISClaimer Single Reviews: Brad Paisley Delivers ‘Country Stardom At Its Finest’
Country music is dealing with some ear-opening romance reality this week.
Jon Pardi, Ingrid Andress, Kip Moore and Allie Colleen all approach the topic of love with various kinds of creativity. All are well worth your spns.
There’s no denying the topicality and artistry of Brad Paisley, who earns the Disc of the Day with his excellent Ukraine-benefit single.
There’s also no denying the stupendous pleasure that comes with hearing a terrific new band. That would be The Shootouts, who captivated my brain and are taking home this week’s DisCovery Award.
SAM WILLIAMS / “Tilted Crown”
Writers: Luke DickSam Williams/Scooter Carusoe; Producer: Luke Dick; Label: Mercury Nashville
– Williams current single/video is a melodic, wistful ballad that finds him coming to grips with his family legacy. It has a troublesome ache, but a peaceful resolution. Plenty of emotion, plenty of hooks. A winner.
TYLER HUBBARD / “Small Town Me”
Writers: Chris LaCorte/Tyler Hubbard; Producer: Jordan Schmidt/Tyler Hubbard; Label: EMI Nashville
– Kinda beefy and anthem-like, it has a certain drive and oomph that make it sound like more than a simple ode to simple living. This guy has the goods.
RUSTY TRUCK / “Be on My Side”
Writers: Mark Seliger/Michael Duff; Producer: Larry Campbell; Label: Downtown
– Beautifully sung and produced, but I don’t hear a hit in this arty, meandering song.
MORGAN WALLEN / “Thought You Should Know”
Writers: Nicolle Galyon/Miranda Lambert/Morgan Wallen; Producer: Joey Moi; Label: Big Loud
– The song’s lyric scans awkwardly, and it seems to slip out of meter here and there. But the missing-mama sentiment rings true, as does the overall vibe of redemption. He can do better, and has.
CAITLYN SMITH / “The Great Pretender”
Writers: Caitlyn Smith/Bob DiPiero/Joe Clemmons; Producer: Caitlyn Smith; Label: Monument
– Nicely done. It’s about smiling on the outside, but crying on the inside. Her slightly cracked and broken vocal delivery is right on the money. The ballad’s simple, echoey, acoustic production is perfect for the mood. I’m in.
BRAD PAISLEY / “Same Here”
Writers: Brad Paisley/Lee Thomas Miller/Taylor Goldsmith; Producer: Luke Wooten/Brad Paisley; Label: EMI
– Released on the first anniversary of the terrible Ukraine invasion, this yearning ballad is awash in nostalgia, longing and reflection. The third verse addresses our brothers overseas who pray for peace and freedom. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy makes a moving cameo vocal appearance, and proceeds will benefit Ukrainian relief efforts. This is country stardom at its finest.
KASSI ASHTON / “Drive You Out of My Mind”
Writers: Kassi Ashton/Travis Wood/Todd Clark; Producers: Luke Laird/Todd Clark/Kassi Ashton; Label: MCA Nashville
– Ashton rocks out on this hit-the-road, tempestuous tempo tune. Splendidly rhythmic.
KIP MOORE / “Damn Love”
Writers: Jason Gantt/Jaren Johnston/James McNair; Producers: Kip Moore/Jaren Johnston; Label: MCA
– Yes, yes. This delightful pile driver captures everything there is to love about this artist—the passionate attitude, the raspy/urgent voice, the hooks-a-plenty melody, the fiery energy. His best yet.
INGRID ANDRESS / “Treated Me Good”
Writers: Ingrid Andress/Sam Ellis/Derrick Southerland; Producers: Ingrid Andress, Sam Ellis; Label: Warner
– She says a heartache farewell to a lover with tender good wishes. The excellent production builds admirably as she unspools her conflicting emotions. Her penetrating delivery of the drum-beat choruses is especially gripping.
JON PARDI / “Your Heart or Mine”
Writers: Bart Butler/Justin Ebach/John Pierce; Producers: Bart Butler, Ryan Gore & Jon Pardi; Label: Capitol Nashville
– The sound of hot romance. Kinda moody and bluesy, the atmospheric steady stomper is undeniably ear catching. I think this thing has legs.
THE SHOOTOUTS & ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL / “One Step Forward”
Writers: Allen Moss; Producers: Ray Benson, Sam Seife; Label: Soundly
– This Akron, Ohio band’s new album, Stampede, features appearances by Marty Stuart, Jim Lauderdale, Buddy Miller and Raul Malo. This delightful track is a collaboration with the legendary band led by the record’s producer, Ray Benson. It’s a super swinger with western jazzbo vibes that are bound to charm yer ears. Tune in for some hot picking, too. Yowza!
ALLIE COLLEEN / “Honest Man”
Writers: Allie Colleen/Kate Hasting/Vinny Vincent/Lance Carpenter; Producer: Joe Costa; Label: AC
– A powerfully strummed rhythm guitar backs her solid vocal of this expertly written exploration of true love. Wonderfully melodic and highly listenable. Heartily recommended.
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Brad Paisley Delivers ‘Country Stardom At Its Finest’ - March 2, 2023
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Ashley McBryde & Brothers Osborne Stun With ‘Play Ball’ - February 23, 2023
- DISClaimer Single Reviews: Darius Rucker Makes A ‘Soul Stirring’ Cover Of Rihanna Ballad - February 16, 2023