An array of artists have come together to pay tribute to American folk icon Woody Guthrie by reimagining his album, Dust Bowl Ballads, for its 81st anniversary. Guthrie’s 1940 record, which spoke to the pain and hopelessness of the American farmer living in a Depression-era America, is cited as being one of the first concept albums ever.
Home In This World: Woody Guthrie’s Dust Bowl Ballads, out Sept. 10 via Elektra Records, features Guthrie songs performed by a cross-genre collective of Grammy winners including Lee Ann Womack, Colter Wall, John Paul White, grunge poet laureate Mark Lanegan, country artist Lillie Mae, Shovels & Rope, virtuosic mandolinist Chris Thile, Watkins Family Hour and Waxahatchee. The album is curated by Grammy-winning music supervisor and producer Randall Poster (Skyfall, The Wolf of Wall Street, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Boardwalk Empire).
“WHAT A FEAST! Delicious… tasteful… spicy… & organic… all,” says Nora Guthrie, daughter of the folk icon and curator of the Woody Guthrie Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Home In This World: Woody Guthrie’s Dust Bowl Ballads Tracklisting:
1. Dust Bowl Blues – Shovels & Rope
2. I Ain’t Got No Home In This World Anymore – Lost Dog Street Band
3. Blowin’ Down This Road – Watkins Family Hour
4. Pretty Boy Floyd – John Paul White
5. Dusty Old Dust – Lee Ann Womack
6. Do Re Mi – Colter Wall
7. Talkin Dust Bowl Blues – Waxahatchee
8. Tom Joad Part 1 – Chris Thile
9. Tom Joad Part 2 – Lillie Mae
10. The Great Dust Storm – The Felice Brothers
11. Dust Cain’t Kill Me – The Secret Sisters
12. Dust Bowl Refugee – Swamp Dogg
13. Dust Pneumonia Blues – Mark Lanegan
14. Vigilante Man – Parker Millsap
- Co-Founding Member Of The Blind Boys Of Alabama, Jimmy Carter, Releases Solo Album - September 23, 2021
- Dustin Lynch Signs With Warner Chappell Music - September 23, 2021
- Kentucky Headhunters Announce First Album Of Brand New Material In Five Years - September 22, 2021