Mark Collie is releasing a new album, Book of My Blues, on Friday, June 4 via BFD/Audium Nashville/Orchard.
The album’s themes of love, lust, betrayal, addiction, recovery, damnation, redemption are derived from the graphic novel Rockabilly Hitman, a collaboration between Collie and renowned film director Jonathan Hensleigh. The novel depicts the exploits of rockabilly singer Jesse Wayne Hardin, who by night is an avenger of evil, as he travels the backroads from Muscle Shoals to Memphis, from the Mississippi Delta to Music City.
The project features twelve original songs written or co-written by Collie, plus three rockabilly classics – “Hey Boba Lou,” “Night Train to Memphis,” and “Matchbox.” The album was co-produced by Kenny Greenberg and Chad Cromwell, and features collaborations with some special guests including Billy Bob Thornton, Tom Douglas, Gary Nicholson, John Scott Sherill, and more.
“There are a lot of ways to describe the music, maybe roadhouse rock, southern gothic, Americana, country, but at its core, it’s a reflection of me and many others who came before me,” explains Collie.
Tracks “Born Ready” and “The Son of a Gun” are available now, and Collie is set to release the album’s title track and third single, “Book of My Blues,” on May 14.
Book of My Blues Track List:
1. Book of My Blues (Mark Collie, Billy Bob Thornton)
2. Born Ready (Mark Collie, Kenny Greenberg, Gary Nicholson)
3. On the Wings of Your Love (Mark Collie)
4. Right This Wrong (Mark Collie, Kenny Greenberg)
5. Matchbox (Carl Perkins)
6. Holly Springs (Mark Collie, Kenny Greenberg, Chad Cromwell)
7. Unfinished Hurting (Mark Collie, Tom Douglas)
8. Queen of A Hungry Heart (Mark Collie, Kenny Greenberg, Chad Cromwell)
9. Sinking Sand (Mark Collie, Kenny Greenberg, Chad Cromwell)
10. Hey Boba Lou (Ronnie Hawkins, Jacqueline MaGill, Robbie Robertson)
11. Put the Gun Down (Mark Collie)
12. Walk the Floor, Kill the Lights, Slam the Door (Mark Collie, John Scott Sherill)
13. A Little Every Day (Mark Collie, Kenny Greenberg, Chad Cromwell)
14. The Son of a Gun (Mark Collie, Jonathan Hensleigh)
15. Night Train to Memphis (Owen Bradley, Marvin Hughes, Beasley Smith)