Josh Turner is paying homage to the country legends who have heavily influenced his career on his latest album, Country State Of Mind, which is slated for release Aug. 21 on MCA Nashville.
Turner likes to call the project his “Mount Rushmore of Country Music,” and the 12-song collection pays tribute to five legends who have long held a firm place in his musical journey: Randy Travis, John Anderson, Johnny Cash, Vern Gosdin, and Hank Williams.
Turner also invited some other heroes and contemporary artists to join him in the studio as he crafted his celebration of classic country. The new rendition of the Randy Travis classic “Forever and Ever, Amen” marks Travis’ first recording session since an incapacitating 2013 stroke. “Randy has always been my hero. He was the reason I wanted to become a country singer,” recounts Turner. “He’s an inspiring figure, not just to me but to a lot of people, so to have him sing on this record is pretty special.”
Often performing Vern Gosdin’s first chart-topping single, “I Can Tell By the Way You Dance (You’re Gonna Love Me Tonight)” early in his career, Turner wanted to re-introduce it to a new generation of listeners on this album, and he also teams with John Anderson to reprise Anderson’s 1993 hit “I’ve Got It Made.” Turner also plays guitar for the first time on one of his albums on Johnny Cash’s “The Caretaker” and Hank Williams’ “Alone and Forsaken” — the album’s oldest, and darkest, songs.
Kris Kristofferson joined Turner to record a new version of his 1973 chart-topper “Why Me,” and other standout tracks include the title track, which was originally a 1986 hit for Hank Williams Jr., and becomes a duet with fellow Grand Ole Opry member Chris Janson, “You Don’t Seem to Miss Me,” (featuring the members of Runaway June on George Jones’ part), and Maddie & Tae with Turner on “Desperately,” a 2004 single for George Strait and the album’s newest song. Gems like “I’m No Stranger To The Rain,” and “Good Ol’ Boys,” also appear on the collection.
Country State of Mind Track Listing:
1. I’m No Stranger To The Rain
2. I’ve Got It Made (Duet with John Anderson)
3. Why Me (Duet with Kris Kristofferson)
4. Country State Of Mind (Duet with Chris Janson)
5. I Can Tell By The Way You Dance
6. Alone And Forsaken (Featuring Allison Moorer)
7. Forever And Ever, Amen (With Special Guest Randy Travis)
8. Midnight In Montgomery
9. Good Ol’ Boys
10. You Don’t Seem To Miss Me (Featuring Runaway June)
11. Desperately (Featuring Maddie & Tae)
12. The Caretaker
- Neil Medley Shares His Stories On Debut Project, ‘South End Kid’ - September 29, 2023
- Morgan Wallen Adds Multiple Nights In Several Markets For 2024 Tour - September 29, 2023
- Brittney Spencer Slates Debut Album ‘My Stupid Life’ For January - September 29, 2023