Willie Nelson’s first album for Sony Music’s Legacy Recordings, titled Heroes, will be released May 15. The album is a collection of new and re-imagined cover songs with guest artists Merle Haggard, Snoop Dogg, Kris Kristofferson, Billy Joe Shaver, Sheryl Crow, Jamey Johnson, and Willie’s sons Lukas and Micah Nelson.
Produced by Buddy Cannon, Heroes was mainly recorded by Steve Chadie at Pedernales Recording Studio in Austin, Texas (with three tracks–“Hero,” “Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die” and “Come On Back Jesus”–recorded by Butch Carr at Cannon Productions and Sound Emporium Recording Studios in Nashville).
Heroes marks the first release in a historic new record deal between Nelson and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment. The agreement is a label homecoming for Nelson, who from 1975-1993 cut a string of top-selling singles and albums for Columbia Records, beginning with his 1975 smash Red Headed Stranger.
“I’m really happy to be back home with Sony Music. We have been partners for many years; all the way back to Pamper Music and Tree Music. We share a great history, and I’m looking forward to many more years together,” says Nelson.
Track Listing: Heroes
1. “A Horse Called Music” with Merle Haggard & Lukas Nelson
2. “Roll Me Up And Smoke Me When I Die” with Snoop Dogg, Kris Kristofferson, Jamey Johnson
3. “That’s All There Is To This Song”
4. “No Place To Fly” with Lukas Nelson
5. “Every Time He Drinks He Thinks Of Her” with Lukas Nelson
6. “Come On Up To The House” with Lukas Nelson & Sheryl Crow
7. “Hero” with Billy Joe Shaver, Jamey Johnson
8. “My Window Faces The South” with Lukas Nelson
9. “The Sound Of Your Memory” with Lukas Nelson
10. “Cold War With You” with Lukas Nelson & Ray Price
11. “Just Breathe” with Lukas Nelson
12. “My Home In San Antone” with Lukas Nelson
13. “Come On Back Jesus” with Lukas Nelson & Micah Nelson
14. “The Scientist”